Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rings

Well these arrived in the post today, about a month after I ordered them from Greenspeed.

"The Pup" 39 tooth


New Big Dog 53 tooth

In all the years I have been riding this is the first time I have actually bought a new set of road chain rings. And boy was I in for a shock I got a little bit of change from $AU340.... I choose TA Specialties because they are available in two colors (hey image is always important!) and AFAIK they invented the system of a single sided fixing system for the big ring that Shimano is now using on it's 7900 group set.
So getting them out of the package the first thing I was struck by has how much machining had gone into the production of the big dog... really impressed! But I think it's the fixing system where the secret is


Backside of the "Dog"

Setup
I had to remove the SRM cranks to get the other small chain ring off. This is a bit annoying but if you have the tools it adds only another 5 minutes to the process.
Removing the existing rings was another 2 minutes, and setting up the new rings another minute. Getting the new bolts to thread correctly was the biggest problem. It took me two goes, as I didn't want to cross-thread the chain ring. So second time lucky and it was all back together then back on the bike.


The end result

The shifting in the stand was fantastic but will have to wait till Saturday for an on the road evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment