Saturday, May 2, 2009

Canberra Tour- Stage 1

Well today went better than anticipated...I didn't explode like over ripe up the first KOM climb. In fact I finished with the main bunch and was turning the screws up the last couple of climbs, averaging 436w up the Three Sisters Climb for 5 minutes. Not too bad for someone who can't breath freely and who's head is floating in the clouds at the moment ;)
The day wasn't entirely incident free, the magnet on the front wheel knocked the SRM speed sensor off as soon as we turned out of Stromlo, this necessitated a panic stop so as to minimise the chances of catching the cable in the front wheel and ripping it off. A chase back through the convoy drafting off the wheel vans and I was back safety in the bunch.
The turn around at the far end of the course was a surprise as I thought we were going all the way up to the end of the seal. A bit of a disappointment as by this stage I warmed up, settled in, and was looking to put the hurt on someone on the climb.
Another lap later and there were quite a few more people in the "hurt box" and not through my doing.... A break had gone up the road but wasn't looking threatening. The gap didn't blow out to more then about 40 seconds, I gap I knew could close with an explosive effort out of the crossing. Up the first Sister and moving through the bunch, over the top and a bit of respite. Hitting the Second sister it was time to jet out of the saddle and gassing it. Gaps starts rapidly closing, half across, 2/3 thirds and the power starts going. I back it off as I know that another group is going to come up and there is no point to pushing it to the lights out stage.
Sure enough the call is right, a second group comes through an I latch onto the back and try and survive the final of the sisters. Over the top and bunch can smell blood! There is always an under-current when the bunch know the catch is eminent. Sure enough, guys that previously hadn't been taking turns are rolling through and inch by inch the gap closes. Then comes the flurry of last minute attacks, I never quite understand these as the gap is going to be shut down, and if your going to hit the bunch you wait till the moment the catch is made then launch with whatever you have left.
Gruppetto Compacto onto the crit circuit and a bit of sprint finish. Job for the day done! Finished with the main group, and haven't spent too much energy.
The difference between A-grade and B-grade is huge both in the tactics and intensity. I was never under pressure the entire day, and I am only feeling about 75%yet still survived.
The SRM file shows an average of 241w for the 2.5hrs and only 2000kj burnt so the intensity certainly wasn't there.


My Precious....
I was saving in reserve the use of these wheels, so that if I survived the first day and was feeling OK and needed a lift I had these to put on....

1kg of carbony goodness!
These are made by Carbonsport, a company who in 2003 told Lance Armstrong "No we won't give you a free set of our wheels, and if you want them for the tour you had better add your name to the 5 month waiting list and pay your 2500 euro!". That year Armstrong rode a set of Lightweight wheels in the tour and he paid for them out of his own pocket like every other rider who has lusted over a set off these.
They are a remnant from when I used to race road alot more seriously, and are the stiffest, lightest wheels money can buy. In the 2.5 years I have owned them I have ridden them less than a dozen times and reserve them for "special occasions".

No comments:

Post a Comment