Friday, May 15, 2009

Beginning of the slow decline...

Tomorrow marks the beginning of my slow descent into old age. Tomorrow is my first race ever in a masters category. Cycling Australia introduced a Masters 1 category for the first time this year to align with the rest of world.
When I was alot younger and just getting started with road cycling I can remember the guys racing masters. These were the people that used to take the young ones under their wing and introduce the basics of how to ride, train and race to the up and comers. It was a steep curve at first as there are alot of lessons to be learnt, etiquette, discipline, strength, and skill.
I always swore that when it was my turn, when I reached masters I would faithfully pass on all the lessons I have learnt over the last 16 years. Thinking back it's come around a lot sooner than I imagined it would. When you're young, strong and really don't know any better you just think you're going to stay that way forever. But over the years I have learnt to train harder and a lot smarter then when I was younger and I look forward to passing these lessons on.
The race tomorrow is at Moruya on the South Coast, a total of 90k's. Because of the number of enteries we have been allowed our own start time rather then be rolled in with the Masters 2's. Looking at the start list there are no real standouts in those that have entered so should be a fairly even race. I have no idea as to the terrain so it could be rolling to hilly or completely flat...guess I find out tomorrow.
Sunday is an MTB orienteering race with Big Jase. 6hrs to find as many markers as possible then make it back to the start. I think we kinda entered this as a joke but have the feeling that when the gun goes the race faces are going to go on....no more smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment