Saturday, February 14, 2009

And now for a bit of Ghetto!?!

Morning
Well rolled out of the house at about 6.00am to met up with Jason M and some of the boys to do the Bakery ride and a few extra k's after. The ride leaves from the Bike Shed Philip at 6.30am so we had heaps of time to cruise it to the start, which we made without any stress.
Anyway long and short of it was I made it about 20'k with the bunch before breaking a spoke in the rear wheel. Stoppped to have a look but the wheel was so far out of true it was going to be a slow limp home. So all up 50k for the day, really not what I had in mind.

Afternoon
Well I finally got through doing the ghetto conversion on a set of DT Swiss rims with Schwable tires. I ended up cutting down a 20" tire with a presta valve to create a rim strip and valve. I bulked the rim bed up with more tape and end result was being able to pump both wheels up with a floor pump, no compressor required. Still a bit hesitant with this setup as I have always run UST tires in the past. Reading the forums plenty of people run this style of conversion without problems so it should be OK. Am going to test the setup out tomorrow after the Tour de Sparrow race, will probably roll a slow lap for 70k for the day.
I also have to test out a new hydra-pac before next weekend to make sure there are no last minute problems.


ERGON BD1 Pack


Also thanks to big Jas for reminding me the drive next week is longer than I thought....so I can't leave at midday Friday and get there at a reasonable hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment