Monday, May 10, 2010

Follow up FSA Cranks

So I have had 4 rides and clocked over 10hrs on the new cranks including 1x XXC race. It’s time to give a further update on their performance.
Firstly I have not had to touch the front derailleur alignment since set up, it really has been set and forget even though it is mounted too high.
I have had one dropped chain, and that was sprinting against a truck at +50kph from the lights. It was dropped to the outside not inside which is unusual. There have been no drops to the inside which is where you normally have it throw off.
Despite hammering through Pork Barrel multiple times and yesterdays rough XCC race, the chain has not bounced off the rings which I have had happen in the past with the XTR cranks.
At the moment the biggest issue is probably the 12-36 cassette. It could do with more in the way of mid-range cogs and the jumps can be a bit extreme at times but this is unrelated to the cranks themselves.
Given FSA’s poor reputation with cranks and chain rings in the past I am pleasantly surprised with how well everything is working out. I think that at the present moment, this crank set is the best value option for someone looking at heading down the two by option of front chain rings. I am sure this will change later in the year as SRAM release more of their range with double chain ring options.

No comments:

Post a Comment