Monday, March 15, 2010

Torture Loop 2.0

On Saturday Big Jase & I set off on the new improved torture loop version 2.0.

Unlike last year, this time it was straight into the hills for some serious climbing action. 6.30am is still dark O' clock so it was good one of us bought lights (me!) otherwise it would have been dodgy going for the first half hour.

First on the menu was Fitz hill, and dispite promising myself that I would take it easy I hammered up the climb just to get the torture over with. As Jase came over the top all I got was "40 RPM sucks!"

After 5 minutes admiring the view, getting the breath back it was off to the next target on the list Apollo Road. This climb wan't so bad, but by keeping a steadt tempo I managed to gap Jase through the middle steep section before he caught back up at the top.

Another short stop, refill the water bottles and we were off on the decent, it was here things got a bit hairy thanks to my old friend Mr Kangaroo who decided suicide by cyclist was perferable to watching from the side of the road. A a fist full of anchor the kangaroo was on its way, but it was close.

At the bottom to our delight we discovered it was going to be a tailwind all the way across to the bottom of Corin. Trading off turns at 38-40kph was fun and a great reward for all the climbing. Normally along here it's a headwind, which seriously sucks.

We reached the bottom of Corin well ahead of schedule, and started the meander up the climb. By this stage I switched the turbo off and rode with Jase all the way up the climb, just a steady tempo for 45mins to the gate at the top.

Because we were so far ahead of what was planned it was decided home the long way was on the cards, along Tidbinbilla Rd through Pierces Creek. Coming past the base of Mt McDonald we caught up with another group of riders and latched on the back for a tow to Stromlo.

By this stage we had to start racing the watch as we both had promised to be home by midday.

So all up it worked out to be 5.5hrs of riding and ~4000cals burnt for the day. I can't post anything up as the SRM decided to die just past Tharwa.

I now have to think up a new route for this coming weekend...I don't think I can come up with anymore climb...well maybe ;)



2 comments:

  1. The only gap was between your ears mate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must..resist..the...urge...to smash...you..on..Saturday ;)

    ReplyDelete