Saturday, July 4, 2009

Check this bad boy out!


Exposure MaxX D

Postman arrived yesterday with this. I have been considering a new set of lights for about a month now and after doing alot of research settled on this bad boy. Previously I had been using a set of Ayups, but always felt they were a bit underpowered. Now don't get me wrong I do like the design of the Ayups, and especially the price ($450 for a set of 2) but with only have 2x led's per light they but out about 260 lumin.
Enter the MaxX D, on high this throws out 960 lumin for 3hrs and 600 lumin for 10hrs!. But the best thing about it is that there is no separate battery back. The whole unit is like an over sized child's gun. I weighs about 300gms and I have to say the machining detail on the light is fantastic.
So there is the good parts out of the way, what's the down side? Charge time is the answer. 12hrs to charge the unit! This is a result of the technology used in the battery to give it it's long run times. As a bonus though for those needing longer run times (think 24hrs), exposure make piggyback batteries to push the run times out. So it is possible to get 6hrs on high (960 lumins).
Cost? $US349 (I got mine for a bit less)

I haven't had a chance to go for a ride with it yet. So other then shining in at the neighbour's house in the dark, at the wall in the garage, and in my eyes (Why is it always the first thing I do with lights? Idiot!) I can't really comment on it's riding performance yet. I will post an update on Monday after riding with it.

2 comments:

  1. can we see set up pics helmet? bars? i wouldnt mind being convinced out of buying some ayups.
    Go chase the possums!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bar mount. They also do a model called the joystick for your helmet. I'll post up pics once it's on the bike.

    ReplyDelete