Sunday, July 4, 2010

Calibration

So I have been mentally been telling myself that, "I need to check the calibration of my MTB powertap" for a couple of months now, but just haven't got around to it. I know a number of the guys with them have started having various problems so, I thought now was a good time to check the accuracy.

So today, decided was the day and I created the spreadsheet and set aside 1/2 hour to do the testing. The testing procedure is also the same as for a SRM, except with the powertap you test various gear combinations. The only equipment required is something with a know weight, either youself or a couple of lifting plates of at least 20kg and a spirit level for leveling the cranks.

The spreadsheet is just a series of basic calculations, Torque= weight * crank length * 1/25.4 * (rear sprocket/ front chainring).

The yellow powertap headunit displays the measured torque value if you hold the select button for 2 seconds.

So this is the result,


Firstly, the powertap is reading ~ 3.0% low aross the gear range or about 8.9w at threshold. Secondly you can see that the 12t & 36t produce the highest levels or error. This is a consequence of the chainline and way that torque is applied to the hub. 3.0% is double the quoted accuracy from Saris for their hubs, but at this stage I am not worried enough to send it back to be adjusted.

3 comments:

  1. 3% is about as good as any meter will get, that's great news! You've restores some faith inthe PT for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it was just sh!tty batteries in the end was it? Oh well, no trip to the US for your hub just yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!
    Calibration

    ReplyDelete