Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Base Layers







So given Canberra is currently in the grips of winter, I thought it time to upgrade some of my baselayers and add a couple of longsleeve items to the wardrobe. So after some research I choose a couple of Craft Pro Zero Extreme tops.

I have always ridden with a technical baselayer to help aid in the insulation/ evapouration process right from my days as a novice.

Craft isn't a name that is well known over this side of the globe infact I couldn't find a local importer at all. So I ended up doing the purchase from one of the normal mail order companies and a week later they turned up in the post.

So first up the Zero Extreme range have a dedicated windstop front on them to keep the chill off your chest. Next up is the channelled fabric used for the back and arms. It's very soft to touch and has flat stitching to ensure no chafing.

Fitwise the body and arms are a good length in all the right places ie the shirt tail region and sleeves when moving your arms don't ride up and expose your wrist area.

The first ride was yesterday in a balmy 3 degrees. Firstly once on I didn't notice the undershirt again it didn't move or chafe so thats a huge tick. Further into the ride once I had warmed up I noticed that the shirt wasn't holding any moisture and breathing to allow the sweat to move out to my thermal jacket.

After the ride I checked the top and it was slightly damp, however once I hung this up at work it had dried out by the time I rode home. The other thing was there was no odour like some undershirt once they get sweat into them.

So all up I'm stoked with these and highly recommend the brand...in fact I will probably buy a couple of short sleeve zero versions (no windstop front) for spring.

2 comments:

  1. That stuff always looks classy and gets good reviews. I will have to check it out some time. Where did you get it from? I currently use the 'Outwet' brand, which has proved to be quite effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it from wiggle as CRC don't currently stock them. They have the full range from the summer lightweight through to the zero pro extreme. Price wise $AU35-70 depending on the type.

    ReplyDelete