Friday, November 13, 2009

Put the gun down Son.....You're out of bullets!



Now if this were the movies, I'd probably be the character that tries to reload and gets shot to death

So whats the relevance? Well yesterday was the weekly CORC Dirt Crit and I finally got around to going to one but I really shouldn't have bothered.
Riding to the race I felt flat and tired, which isn't surprising given the amount of racing over the last two weeks. Including the mornings riding, I already had 60k in my legs....again not real smart on my part.
Even a 500ml can of V and a bag of caffine Shot Blocs didn't pick me up.

But being who I am, I still signed up to race.

Sitting on the start line looking around everyone else is pumped, me? I just feel sleepy tired. We get the call to start, I jump on the pedals and I knew then the gun was empty....nothing left. For the first lap, I try my hardest to keep on the gas but people who any other day shouldn't are just pulling away.
About then I decided to pull out of the way where possible to let people past (no point f^&king the others day, just because I'm creeping)coming out back onto the main fire road two riders ahead collide and eat sh!t. I skirt around them and continue on, riders stream past. During the second lap I look down at the Garmin....HR 130bpm. At that point I just decide to pull the pin at the end of the lap. There is no point pushing, because I'm not going to get any benefit from another 3 laps.

I finish the lap and roll over to Jases wife, Kylie and start chatting to her and her friend. It's funny as they are going on about how badly they killed themselves in their race...I'm not even breathing hard and had an average HR in the mid 120's for the 2 laps. Not good and a sure sign that the body is tired and needs some lovin'

So I go grab my bag and start the long ride home to try and beat the sun setting.

Coming down Erindale Drive looking out into the hills I'm treated to a display of this,



Stats for the day.
Dist: 90.6km
Time: 4:10hr

7 comments:

  1. I have yet to get back on the bike, maybe this afternoon. When can I organise a trip to ACT to be shown the trails????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytimes good. I'm flying solo over xmas as the wife is going back to NZ for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im feelin ya.... commuting all week the ss and about to head off and teach my 6th spin class since he fling... ouch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. see that's just plain silly.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. spin class.....do I need to get on board?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you expect.... he wears pink doesn't he? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhino, if you visit the ACT to ride, you might need to talk to your employer about 'working from home' - and move to Canberra.

    Good choice on Thursday David, 130bpm in a crit - you must be tired!

    ReplyDelete