Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Is this Australia's Stupidest Animal?

Is this Australia's stupidest animal?



I think I can safely say YES!
Had my first driving encounter with a kangaroo on the way to the Jetblack 101 race early Sunday morning. One decided to headbutt my car?!? Now most people know these animals are thick but this one was just plain mental. Travelling the Braidwood to Nowra road (gravel road, 5.30 a.m, 90kph) and I see the kangaroo in time. Slow let the thing get off the road, nose the front of the car past, and thing turns around and runs head first into the rear driver's side door. I mean how stupid are these things? I get out check the car, no obvious damage, but I can't see sh!t cause it's still dark. Get back in and start driving again.
Now this wasn't the first animal I got to test out the ABS on, later I got to do a panic stop for another kangaroo, which then wouldn't get off the road and decided it was going to race me for 2k's before getting bored and diving off into the trees.
Now these are a road smart animals...




wombats! Everytime I have come across these in the road or about to cross the road they act like people. They look both ways before crossing, they stop when they see a vehicle so you can drive around them. I really don't know why you see so many dead ones around and about. Enough of the david attenborough commentary on the wild life, to the race!

The Race
This is going to be a short report because I DNF'ed with a mechanical...4 broken spokes in the rear powertap wheel. I took it back to the shop and they admitted they stuffed the lacing pattern up and are going to have to re-lace the wheel after ordering more spokes.
Reading the forums, there are some very unhappy people after the race on Sunday. The course was changed from 4 x 25k laps to 7x 13.6k laps. The course wasn't overly hard with some real fun sections in it but no let up. I mean you couldn't take your hands off the bars to eat or drink except for the start finish area. The attrition rate was 75%, that is almost unheard of for an enduro. A couple of people actually asked for there money back before the start because of the changes. The entry wasn't cheap for the race and I can say for $100 it wasn't value for money. I know I won't be heading back next year if they hold it again.

The week ahead

Just a week now and I'm off to the "Land of the Long Soggy Cloud", so big week of training ahead. Also I am not doing the Wagga 6hr now. Am really over the whole driving thing at the moment. So Sunday is a 4hr MTB ride scouting the Solo 24hr course with Big Jase

2 comments:

  1. hard luck mate... dats to bad about not going to wagga u might hit a kangaroo on your bike there all over the course..biggest greys you have ever seen.. im pumped to flog myself for 6hrs on sunday with a 6hr drive home:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, just over the whole driving thing at the moment. So staying local this weekend

    ReplyDelete